Monday, December 19, 2011

One year later, with a "forever family"


As I sit down to write this post, I am filled with so many memories. Tomorrow marks the year anniversary of my grandmas death. This post is a different kind of "adoption" post. Not necessarily a post filled with excitement of the next step we're entering or a post about fundraisers, it's about the ultimate adoption story; Christs adoption of us.


This date brings up many thoughts, good and bad. But I am comforted in knowing that my grandma is with our Heavenly Father, the Father that adopted her into His forever family. Knowing that, brings peace. It doesn't take away the sadness, but it brings peace.



I learned many things from my grandma, we were very close, but one thing that always sticks with me is her strong faith and her never complaining spirit. If you knew my grandma, you knew she had many reasons to complain or not be content about where God has here in life-she had a kidney disease, was on dialysis 3-4 times a week and had several other medical conditions on top of that-but she never once complained.



Her faith was so strong, it's almost hard to describe except for that she had a faith I wish I had. She lived her life to the fullest and never had a problem sharing her faith with anyone (including, but not limited to: every person that was at her dialysis center, the staff at Starbucks, waitresses, neighbors, unbelieving friends, you name it-she shared it with them.)



As I am reminded of her date of death, I am also reminded of Christs adoption of her and the "forever family" she is in now. When Justin and I started thinking about adoption, we began to think about the ultimate adoption that we have experienced and how wonderful if feels to have a forever family in the family of Christ.



The quote below is a quote we used at my grandma's service, it fully describes her life, and I hope that one day, it can describe mine. Miss ya grams!

"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave
with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive
and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways,
chocolate in one hand, martini in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming WOO HOO what a ride!"

-unknown







No comments: