Monday, April 9, 2012

Community. It takes a village.


Community has been on my mind a lot lately, in many different ways. We've been completely overwhelmed by the community that has surrounded us in regards to our adoption. From the second we announced our plans, we've had people at our side-supporting us through prayer, being willing to answer crazy texts from me about who knows what, supporting us financially the list goes on. It makes me think about that phrase "it takes a village to raise a child" for us, that is so true.

If it weren't for our village, I don't know how we'd do it sometimes.

One thing I'm incredibly thankful for are the friends I've met while on this journey, although we've only been on this road for about 5 months, I've met (thanks to the wonderful WorldWideWeb) many people who are also on this journey and get emails about how we're doing, where we are at in the process, ect. It's so encouraging to be able to talk with people who have been there, and are there. It makes me miss "real" community. I wish these women just lived down the street from me, so I could just go to their house, instead of emailing (don't get me wrong, I am BEYOND thankful for the invention of email, it has saved my life sometimes, seriously).

Justin's going to be starting a series with our high schoolers about social media and it's dangers. While I am SO incredibly thankful for the Internet and Facebook and things like that, sometimes I just long to be able to run down the hall like I did in college and talk with a friend. Our season in life seems to be changing, and deep down, I know that I'm growing up, and you know what? It's hard to make friends when you're a grown up! Not that I don't have friends, I do and I am SO thankful for each one of you; but I'm feeling the need for community, real community.

So with that being said, we (Justin and I) are doing something about it. Starting in May, the first Friday of every month, we're going to open our house up to, whoever. Just come over sometime after 5 and bring some meat if you want to BBQ it up, we'll set up some games, music, chairs, fire pit, whatev' just come and bring yourself, your spouse your kiddos. The idea came one day when I was complaining about not having time for friends anymore (when did that happen?!) and Justin (being his realistic self) just asked me why I don't do anything about it (don't you hate/love when that happens?) So he came up with this 'tailgater' parry type thing, just come as you are, invite your friends, and we'll continue to grow our village.


A little adoption update, we're just waiting for our biometrics appt. on the 23rd of this month and once we get that lovely little paper, we're good to send our dossier to Ethiopia! We're almost a waiting family!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Community party is such a great idea! Soooo exciting about your bio appointment!! Yahh! Getting close :) Just some advice...I "thought" I had my dossier totally ready to go and all I needed was to slip in the bio return form! BUT, I hadn't actually put it together. That lead for a crazy/stressful night instead of an exciting happy night! Of course, if you don't mind waiting to get it ready it won't matter! Haha, I wanted to mail it off THAT day! It ended up being okay of course, but it was much more hectic than I planned for it to be!! So, have all your papers in order and separated and copied!